Burn Bans Lifted

After enough rain has fallen to mitigate fire danger, the Clark County Fire Marshal today lifted the outdoor burn ban. Both recreational and land-clearing burning had been banned due to unseasonably dry weather conditions. Burns bans historically are lifted on October 1st, but this year was more dry and arid than in past years.

Permits are required for burning yard debris and land clearing – in areas where burning is allowed.

Outdoor burning of yard debris or for land clearing purposes is illegal within city limits and urban growth areas. To determine if you can burn on your property, view the No Burn Area maps online or contact the Southwest Clean Air Agency (SWCCA) at 360.574.3058.

Recreational campfires are allowed if built in improved fire pits in designated campgrounds, such as those found in local, county and state parks. On private land, recreational fires must be built according to the following regulations:

  • Fires must be built in a metal, stone or masonry-lined pit such as those seen in approved campgrounds or sold in home and garden stores. Fires must not exceed 3 feet in diameter by 2 feet in height.
  • Fires must be at least 25 feet from a structure or other combustible material, and have at least 20 feet of clearance from overhead fuels such as tree limbs, patio covers or carports.
  • Fires must be attended at all times by a responsible person at least 16 years old and with the ability to extinguish the fire using a shovel, five gallons of water or a connected and charged water hose.
  • Completely extinguish recreational fires by pouring water or moist soil on them and stirring with a shovel until all parts are cool to the touch.
  • Only charcoal or seasoned firewood (not lumber) may be used as fuel for a recreational fire.
  • The use of burn barrels is illegal.

Burning permits

Small debris piles
Permits for small open burning fires, less than 10 feet in diameter, can be obtained online or at your local fire district station.

Open burn permit for small fires form – Carefully read all sections before signing and dating the permit. Please keep the permit with you at the burning site.

Land clearing and large debris piles
Burning permits for general land clearing and for debris piles in excess of 10 feet in diameter can be obtained for a fee. Applicants must make an appointment with the Permit Center to apply, pay and obtain the permit. Appointments can be made by contacting permitservicesappt@clark.wa.gov. A fire marshal inspection is required prior to burning.

What types of materials can I burn?

In areas where burning is allowed, only natural vegetation grown on the property and small amounts of paper necessary to start a fire can be burned.